Prices range depending on the station
Notice of EV charging rate change – September 1
During the review of our most recent Revenue Requirements Application, the B.C. Utilities Commission determined that we need to adjust our rates to be slightly higher than what we had applied for to cover our costs. As a result, we've adjusted our EV charging rates.
Effective September 1, 2023, the costs to charge at BC Hydro are:
- 12.23 cents per minute for 25 kW charging (previously 12.19 cents)
- 21.42 cents per minute for 50 kW charging (previously 21.33 cents)
- 27.53 cents per minute for 100 kW charging (previously 27.43 cents)
Each session at our stations is billed per second. Following your charging session, you'll receive an emailed receipt with a breakdown of your charge, including how long you charged for (in minutes and seconds) and the session cost before and after 5% GST is applied.
Charging rates are approved by the B.C. Utilities Commission and are based on the maximum kW output of the charging station, not on actual kW output received or requested by the vehicle.
Parking fees may apply
Note that rates at fast charging stations don’t include parking fees. Be sure to check signage or PlugShare to see if a specific station requires payment for parking. Currently the following sites have a parking fee that's collected by the site host:
- Vancouver – Homer Street (collected by City of Vancouver)
- Vancouver – Kerrisdale (collected by City of Vancouver)
For other charging networks in B.C., check PlugShare to find locations, charging costs and parking fees before you go.